Gaining Access to the Animal Facilities
The following steps are required to gain access to the Animal Facility:
- Completion of the IACUC Training,
- Submission of an Animal Handler Occupational Health Questionnaire to the IACUC,
- Inclusion on the Personnel Roster for the relevant IACUC Protocol(s),
- Hands-On Bio-Methods Training provided by OACM Vet Techs, and
- Submission of a Key/Catcard Access Request Form to the Facility Manager.
These steps are described below.
Completion of Training Modules
Research personnel must complete the general lab animal training and the species specific course(s) for each species listed on their protocol. Detailed instructions and a place to check for completion is on the IACUC site: Research Protections Office, CITI Resource Page.
Any comments or questions about subject material may be directed the RPO 656-5040.
Submission of an Animal Handler Occupational Health Questionnaire to the IACUC
The IACUC requires submission of an Animal Handler Occupational Health Questionnaire. This form is available on the Risk Management Site, the IACUC site, and on our Forms page.
- Option 1 - Scan the completed questionnaire into PDF and email it to email@example.com
- Option 2 - Place completed questionnaire in a sealed envelope, legibly write your name and “CONFIDENTIAL OCC HEALTH FORM". Forward the sealed envelope by campus mail to Risk Management at the address below:
- Amy Kutchukian
004 Rowell Burlington, VT 05405
Inclusion on the Personnel Roster for the relevant IACUC Protocol(s)
The PI submits a Protocol Amendment to the IACUC to add new personnel to Protocols. No one is given access to the Animal Facility without first being added to a Protocol roster.
Hands-On Bio-Methods Training
This training is required before access to facilities can be granted. Contact the OACM Vet Techs for their schedule at VetTech@med.uvm.edu or call 68708.
Submission of a Key/Catcard Access Request Form to the Facility Manager
After completion of the above requirements, fill out an Access Request Form found on the Physical Plant web page or by clicking this link: Facility Access form. The specific information for our facilites is provided below
- For access to the Given animal facility, write "Given Animal Care"
- For access to the HSRF animal facility, write "HSRF Animal Care-001"
- For access to HSRF 005A, write "HSRF Animal Care-005A"
- For access to the CRF animal facility, write "CRF Facility Animal Care"
- For access to the 4th floor of Dewey, write "Dewey 4th floor Animal Care"
- For access to the Stafford animal facility, write "Stafford Animal Care"
Fax the completed form to the OACM Facility Manager (fax # 6-2234) who reviews the information before passing it on to the Lock Shop. It can take up to 5 additional days for your request to be completed.
Note: Access is granted for 2 years after which you will need to re-submit an Access Request Form (This does not apply to Principal Investigators).
Last modified May 15 2019 08:59 AM